Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Fun Continues...

This week has been filled with information about classes, schedules, etc. Necessary evils which are soon coming to a close. During all these info sessions we were able to sneak into the city and discover some amazing places! La Plaza de Mayo was our first stop! There we had a phenomenal tour guide who gave us a two hour history lesson about Argentina and how the country came to be as it is today. Literally every fact he told us was more astonishing than the next! Afterward we went to San Telmo, which I adored! Full of unique houses, shops, and cafe's it was so inviting. We ended up getting hot chocolate and talking for hours! Time stands still here and the Argentine's seem to soak up every minute of the day, never in a rush and always relaxed. This naturally goes against all my American blood, but I'm doing my best to adapt ;) Tuesday we took a subway stop to Palermo near los Jardines Japones. There we relaxed in a park and took some time to ourselves! It's easy to forget that we aren't just here on vacation, we are going to be LIVING here! We ate savory alfajores and walked back to meet the rest of our group

After we visited Manzana de las Luces, I came home and took a tour of Palermo Soho with my host mother. She showed me all her favorite places, the places past students have gone, and little did I know I was only 4 blocks from La Plaza Serrano! There is an adorable book shop/internet cafe right by my house called Libros del pasaje which will become my go-to study lounge! It is essentially Borders meets Urban Outfitters (aka wonderful!)

Today, Wednesday, I enrolled in my first UBA class which I will hopefully get credit for and learned all about cultural activities provided by the school. Also, they had an info session on where to travel in Argentina and around South America!

After this I headed home, confident in my knowledge of the barrio and went to look for a pair of boots. I was shopping around, and wasn't able to find anything so I began to head home. Well, this was the first time I got lost in Buenos Aires, and I am sure it will not be the last. I ended up having to take a cab home because I was so turned around!

Later on, i went out for a class of wine with a friend who lives in Palermo Viejo and we talked, ate, and  shared our love for this city! Arriving home I had a great dinner with my host mom and we bonded over batatas (sweet potatoes) y pescado. I have never felt so at home so far away from home!


No comments:

Post a Comment