Sunday, October 14, 2012

My Argentina

The way in which I have become familiar with Argentina is very unique to who I am and it is equivalent to no other study abroad student's experience. This is something I love and treasure. We are all living in the same city, doing pretty much the "same" things, but when I really think about it we each are learning and internalizing the city through the scope of our own reality.

There have been many things my friends have called to my attention, that I was completely unaware of and likewise the reverse. One thing in particular I had heard before traveling here was argentine women were strong and independent, but my mind never ventured to what exactly that might mean. It was not until earlier last week on my walk to the Subte when I suddenly realized something about the women in not only my life, but in the lives of my friends as well. As I have mentioned we are staying with host family's and out of the five girls I am friends with, all of us live with single women, most with children. I am certain that this is not some rare coincidence. I have talked with others who live with one woman or a woman with her children. There are of course a good amount too with families, Dad included, but this phenomenon really struck me.

Also, on the flip side I have noticed the way men interact not only with one another, but with women, and with children here. It is so refreshing to see men openly giving love. I feel so many times at home there is not the openness to love freely on a day to day basis, especially between men. I understand that culturally Argentine's are more affectionate and outwardly apparent, but for me it is something a little deeper than that. I think it is something very interesting to observe as a foreigner. At first I thought to myself no that's not true, but throughout my time here I keep finding myself saying, "Wow, look at the way that man is with his child, or look at the care and attention he is paying to that women." To me, if you take notice, something is different than the norm you are used to.

I simply wanted to share this, and try to stray away from giving my opinion because it is just observation. Something that shook up my reality. I also didn't want to forget these sentiments that I once felt. In a way this blog is going to be my time capsule of events, memories, and reflections. 

Un besooooooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment