Thursday, August 30, 2012

An inward glance

As August comes to a close, I can't help but think back the past few weeks and compare them to what I would be doing if I was back in the states. My classmates at home are back at school, moving into their apartments, and beginning the semester. Here, school is already well underway and there was no grand move in for the year. Just me in my quaint, perfect little room in Palermo. There is something about not having an excess of things that I love. I don't have a booming wardrobe full of shoes, bags, and clothes. I don't have my usual cosmetics, laundry routine, or general things I deemed "necessary." Here, I have what I need, I buy what I need to replace, and that is all. There is something so liberating about having just what you need. You are no longer consumed with what you can have, could buy, or should get.

That being said, the people here, as I have sensed thus far and it is not to say all people are like this, but they do not look at you with judgmental eyes. I feel a sense of acceptance here that I have never felt before. A comfortability in my own skin that I have been unable to find in the states. I feel this also with the other students from the U.S. that are here. We are all here to learn, to grow, and experience this city. Therefore, there is no need for excess emotions (aka dramatic situations). They have not happened after six week and fingers crossed we will remain free of them.

I can feel, day by day, myself adapting a little here and there. From what I say, to what I wear, to what I think, to my overall state of mind it is evident the Argentines are rubbing off on me....and I don't mind :)

No comments:

Post a Comment