Saturday, August 11, 2012

Where does the time go?

I cannot believe the last time I wrote was on Monday! This week ended as quickly as it started. The excitement of beginning classes has made all the days blur together. Also the Subte workers remained on strike all week and presently they Subte's are not operating, so it has made navigating the city very difficult for all of us. I don't think I have ever been so thankful for underground, crowded, grungy trains in my life!

Due to the difficulty in transportation I stayed at home more this week and took some needed regrouping time. I enjoyed time with my host family and was able to get to know them much better. My host sister and I talked every afternoon this week. After I finished a long day I would go in her room and sit on her bed and just chat! For the first time I felt an improvement in my Spanish. It is so hard to tell and gauge if there has been improvements, but I have begun to think less when I am speaking.

I have really enjoyed all the classes I have been to so far. They are all three hours which is very different from in the states, but it worked out that I only have class Tuesday through Thursday! That means some nice long weekend trips are possible :)


Yesterday, Friday, we had a group trip to Chascomus. About two hours south of the city, it was an amazing get away for the day! We arrived on the farm for the day we all took our coats off and but our bags down (something that took us a little while to get used to because in the city we are always on guard of everything). We walked around the grounds, snacked on some empanadas, and took in the beautiful fresh air. Soon it was lunchtime and we were seated in a beautiful large room with a stage in the center. The meal began with a salad which I have eaten here, but typically I find the salad's to be bland. I am always craving toppings, different dressings, or I guess a more American overload of food! Here they had all that! I have never seen so many 20 year old happy about salad. Then came the MEAT! haha For a good amount of time different pieces of meat were brought out and we all devoured them. One was better than the next. We enjoyed the company of just our CIEE group. It is rare that we are all together in complete isolation. I was able to talk with people I haven't seen since the beginning of the program and catch up on their experiences here. Next was dessert which was dulce de leche pancakes. Yum!

After lunch there was a performance. There men and women were dressed in traditional gaucho clothing and preformed an amazing show! It was unlike any dancing I have every seen. It was a cross between typical Latin dancing and Irish step dancing. There was lots of stomping, clicking of heels, and synchronization. I liked it very much! After we all went outside and a few men played a traditional game. Each was on a horse and there was a tall square frame, almost like a soccer goal with no set except taller, that the men would race their horses towards. Hanging down from the top bar of this frame were small rings which were the targets. Each man held a small wooden stick, almost like a chop stick, and would run toward the ring at full speed and attempt to make the stick pass through the ring without dropping it. Percussion at its best. Then they brought out a leather "sled." It was tied to the back of the horse and a few kids took turns taking a run on it.

The rest of the afternoon was ours. We went to say hello to the pigs, llamas, and horses. We even got to ride them around the grounds! My horse wasn't so cooperative but I can now cross horseback riding in Argentina off my list! My friends and I lounged around taking in the beautiful lagoon and took plenty of pictures. Mate and alfajores were brought out and we all enjoyed our afternoon tea time. A group began playing soccer, others learned a card game, but we all agreed it was a great day out of the city! Much needed.

Today it is raining, quite heavily, and I have to begin getting some coursework done. This week begins a full schedule! Where has the time gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment