Sunday, August 26, 2012

New York, New York

This post is long overdue and I cannot believe so much time has passed in between posts, but my life here in Buenos Aires went from busy to hectic to warp speed. I was skyping with my family and I said to them, "I miss myself!" I was going from class to class, from one part of the city to the next, that by the time I would arrive home, eat, catch up with my host family, I couldn't keep my eyes open. So much has happened that I will not rehash every detail, but I will mention a few of my favorite things we have done these past two weeks. And I promise myself, and all those loyal followers (especially you Mr. Arrow) that I will be more diligent.

Some stories....

The other day (no I realize it was about two weeks ago) I had finished class for the day and decided to make the long trek home. The Subte was still out of commission, so to the buses I went. Passing line after line I made the executive decision to walk home. I had never done this before, but on this particular day I knew I would make it home faster walking than waiting for a colectivo. I began to walk, map in hand, and put on my headphones as usual. I love walking through the city with my own personal soundtrack. Some days it is upbeat, others low key, and some days a shuffle. This particular day I just hit play and listened to whatever song came on. I reached Santa Fe (a large street, well-known, which stretches pretty far). I knew I still had about 20 to 25 minutes to go, but I trudged on. As I walked the theme song from New York, New York came on by Frank Sinatra. I couldn't help but start to smile as I listened intently to each sweetly sung word. I realize now the people I passed on the street must have thought I was crazy. Literally.

New York, New York 

I want to wake up in that city That never sleeps And find I'm king of the hill Top of the list Head of the heap King of the hill 

These are little town blues 
They have all melted away 
I am about to make a brand new start of it 
Right there in old New York 


Buenos Aires, Argentina has become my New York, New York. It was an overwhelming feeling as I walked home. A feeling of complete contentment, a feeling of comfortability, a feeling of falling in love, and a feeling great awe and thanksgiving for where I was. Everyday as I step out into this city I am aware of what an incredible gift I have been given.

That being said my friends and I have now become well acquainted with navigating the city and decided we needed a day of fresh, so we headed to Tigre! A 45 minute train ride from the city we found ourselves in the quaintest little town located on a beautiful river. We made a beautiful day for ourselves. The weather as well was picturesque. Clear skies, sun, and HEAT! For the first time we peeled off our jackets and were comfortable in T-shirts. We had a great lunch, I ordered Sorrentinos which were scrumptious as usual and we laughed, drank, and ate for three hours! After we did some walking and took a boat tour. A series of rivers connects this town and river side houses line the series of canals. Afterward we went to the art museum and admired the architecture. The building itself was breathtaking and we honestly had more fun on the huge terrace then pondering the paintings inside. After a full day we headed home, sun kissed and relaxed.

More stories to come! Its 2 am here and I have to catch up on homework tomorrow, so off to bed I go. Buenas noches a todos. Besitos :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment