Monday, August 6, 2012

Let the Real Fun Begin

Today was the first day of classes and I was well-prepared and ready to go. Despite the subway strike, I was ready to conquer my fear of the "bondi" (slang for bus) and make it to UCA (the private Catholic university in BsAs) on time. I woke up and promptly walked to Santa Fe to begin my long journey to Puerto Madero. After little searching I found bus 152 and boarded. We were given a small booklet called "Guia T" which is the key to navigating public transportation. Literally. I followed the path of the bus with my finger and along the way asked a few people for instruction. One woman particular kept the conversation going asking all about me and my stay here. We chatted until Avenida Belgrano where we parted ways. Confidently I marched up to the doors of UCA, head held high, ready for my first day of school. Slowly that wonderful feeling began to dwindle as I realized that Marketing I did not seem to appear on the roster and there was no classroom assigned. After speaking to four different people, all in different departments at UCA, I learned that Marketing I Monday's 9:30-1 did not exist. Apparently it was taken off the schedule but we were not notified. Defeated, I let myself wallow for a few minutes and made a new game plan. I soon ran into some friends, one of which had the same predicament as me. Together we went back to FLACSO to remediate the situation. Sooooo, even though I did not physically sit in classroom, I learned more today about myself, navigating the city, and asking people for help then any standard class could teach me. To me it was the first day of school :)

Sunday was a beautiful day here! The stormy weather cleared up and we had a graffiti bike tour planned! Beginning at 2:30 we met at the gates of the Botanical Gardens to meet our tour guide. The company was founded by Britain's and although tours were offered in English we opted for Castellano :) One of our guides was actually from Colorado and ended up being a great resource. We asked all things relating to Buenos Aires (traveling, safety, night life, master programs - you name it...it was covered!) The tour was great and there is unique style of graffiti here. Being from the Philly area I am accustomed to the murals and artistic style found in PA, but naturally in Buenos Aires there is a different estilo. I found it to be very abstract and interesting. Our tour guide fascinated us with her knowledge of the city's graffiti. After about three and a half hours we finished the tour and found a cafe to chat and have a snack before dinner. Afterward I headed to mass. There is a church very close to my house which for some reason I was unable to find up until Sunday. I wasn't sure what to expect. I LOVED going to mass in Spain and hoped for a similar experience. The church was very long and narrow, quaint, and full of people. Mass began and to my surprise it was very melancholy. Unfortunately, there were no books to be found so I had some trouble understanding (the combination of poor microphones and lack of ability to recite the prayers with the congregation made it difficult), but nonetheless I really enjoyed mass. It was just what I needed. It was a very grounding moment. After communion I found myself very overwhelmed. For the first time I thought to myself, "I live here." And it was an amazing feeling.

From what I hear Saturday morning was beautiful, but I was soundly asleep until mid-afternoon (around 2:30) Once I got ready for the day I set out for some "Me Time." This included finding an ATM, a school supply store, and a few other odds and ends needed before the start of school. Navigating the streets with no problem, I can't help but think of where I was two and half weeks ago. A timid, scared American girl glued to her maps. Freely walking throughout Palermo Soho is one of my favorite things to do. The barrio is so beautiful and inviting that I just love to see who (Argentine's and other foreigners included) is there for the weekend to shop and eat! After my own errands were done I wanted to check out la calle Murillo. This street is known for LEATHER, leather, and....oh wait MORE LEATHER! There are dozens of stores all carrying leather in its various forms. From jackets, to boots, to bags it is easy to watch the money fly out of your wallet. I was successful and was able to find a pair of boots and a backpack for school. All in all, great prices in comparison to the U.S. I returned home and spent time with my host family and their extended family. I love meeting members of their family! It is another great opportunity to practice my Spanish and learn new phrases and sayings. Their friend was visiting from San Juan and we talked for a while about different accents (the girls being very patient with me!) Afterward I got ready to go meet friends in the plaza for some wine and then we went to Flux to celebrate its birthday! There we were able to accomplish our most desired goal: meeting locals! Everyone was so nice and we spent the night talking, learning about each other's lives, and sharing our favorite parts about the city. Afterward we went to another club called Dubai - very fun and a great night out!

And last, but not least....FRIDAY! Friday evening we had went to see MOMPOX (one of the girls in our group host mom was back up dancing for them). The concert was great and I really, really liked the venue. It was a very different vibe than what we have seen down here. Honestly, I am having such a hard time remembering anything else about Friday other than my first Pilates class and the concert!

Tomorrow I have my first UCA class...fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment