Sunday, August 12, 2012

Fresh Air

Today was a peaceful day. After some rain, thunder, and cold winds the city was warmed up by the sun and clear skies. I woke up around noon and lazily began my day. A friend and I met for brunch at a little restaurant I have wanted to go to since I arrived. It is on my to the gym and every time I pass it I tell myself I need to go. Well today was the day! Allison and I showed up ready to devour whatever was put in front of us. We sat outside and watched everyone as the walked by. In Palermo Soho sometimes it is easy to forget where you are. Everyone is very fashionable, sporting Ray Ban's, expensive labels, and leather! As couples, family's, and friends passed by our table we heard Castellano, English, Portuguese, and a few other languages. It was so nice to simply sit and take it what was around us.

Ok so the food at this restaurant was incredible. I forget the name right now, but when I go to the gym I will edit this post and include it! I ordered a flat bread pizza with peppers, onions, eggplants, some type of amazing cheese, chicken, mushrooms (basically the works). Allison ordered a sandwich which was incredible. In less than 15 minutes both plates were completely clean! Afterward we went to Pasajes del  Libros and began our homework! Yes, that's right, homework. But of course we had to reward ourselves for being disciplined students, so we ordered some yummy desserts and coffee. I ordered my first lagrima (literally translated means tear like tear drops but when you order one at a cafe it means milk with a little splash of coffee). As a non-coffee drinker I was skeptical, but now I order it every time I am out :) After our studying Allison went on her way and I went to mass.

Today was Grandmother's day and also Children's weekend. The city had different events for children and my host sister gave her grandmother a call at dinner. I love being part of a family here. It is such an incredible experience to have another family let you become part of theirs!

This weekend we spent time with Argentine's and we had an amazing time! My spanish has increased more in the past few days than in my entire life! Everyone is so patient and kind and are so gracious when correcting me. There is a trade off as well - they get some help with their english. It has made me realize I really enjoy teaching english to non-native speakers.

This week is the first full week, as I have mentioned. The subte still is at a halt (this is an all time record in number of days without operation) so many of us are crossing our fingers the problems will be resolved soon! I am excited to see what all these classes have in store! More soon :)

Besos a todos!

No comments:

Post a Comment